Healthcare Insurance

  • page print
  • page download

Healthcare Insurance

The Korean government offers healthcare insurance to everybody in the country and allocates some portion of the budget to every regional government for healthcare services. You pay just 30 percent of the doctor’s bill, and the remaining 70 percent is covered by the National Health Insurance Corporation.

Foreigners can also enjoy the benefits of healthcare services. Foreign workers are required to subscribe to the healthcare system and pay some portion of their salary to the system.

Those without legal status of sojourn may face problems. They may suffer from health problems because they often forgo seeing a doctor. If you find yourself in a similar situation, please do not hesitate to visit one of the institutions that help foreign workers and ask for help.

Who is eligible for healthcare insurance?
Those who reside in Korea with an F1 visa, and his or her spouse and children.
Those who have any of the visas stipulated below and their spouse and children (under age 20 and who have lived in Korea for more than one year): D-1 (Culture/art), D-2 (Student), D-3 (Industrial Trainees), D-4 (General Trainees), D-5 (Resident Correspondents), D-6 (Religion), D-7 (Resident Officials), D-8 (Investment), D-9 (Trade), E1 (Professors), E-2 (Foreign Language Teachers), E-3 (Researchers), E-4 (Those teaching Technology or Engineering), E-5 (Professional Leaseholders), E-7 (Foreigners with Special Ability), E-8 (Those who hire Industrial Trainees)
Foreigners with an F-2 visa
Overseas Koreans who have foreign citizenship and reside in Korea (F-4)
Required Conditions:
1. In case the deadline conditions are met
  • After someone completes their alien registration
  • Those who meet all the requirements will become eligible for the services after alien registration (Foreigners) and resident registration (Overseas Koreans) are both completed
2. Application Process
  • Apply to the National Health Insurance Service branch in your area.
  • Submit a copy of your alien registration card or document(s) that can prove your residence in Korea.
  • If you are residing in Korea and have income, submit document(s) to prove your income.
  • If you are a student, submit a certificate of enrollment.
  • Documents for merging households or registering dependent(s).
    ‣ Submit a translated and notarized document proving your family relations or a DNA test report.
When does your insurance become invalid?
When you leave Korea permanently or your status of sojourn expires.
When your current place of employment provides it. When you are covered by another family member’s insurance.
When you do not pay the insurance premium until one day after your pay day.
A foreign person with regular income
International students at high school level for the purpose of overseas study(D-2) and general training(D4-3): Decreased by 50%
If a person's qualification for stay is being a religious worker (D-6), the person may get 30% deduction of his/her contribution.
Contributions for permanent residents (visitor (F1), residence (F2), settler (F5), marriage immigrator (F6) visa holders), based on their incomes and assets, should be the same as those of local subscribers.
Payment of premiums
Premiums should be prepaid monthly. Permanent residents (F1, F2 F5, F6 visa holders) are exempt from this prepayment regulation.
National Health Insurance Corporation
For any further questions on the health insurance program or the location of the National Health Insurance Corporation, please visit
National Health Insurance Service +82-1577-1000

Division in Charge : Administration Support Division, NHIS Gwangju HQ

Contact : +82-62-250-0110